Internships with the Santa Cruz Chorale
Come sing with the Santa Cruz Chorale! We offer four internships each concert season to students, one intern position for each voice part. Internships with the Santa Cruz Chorale offer many benefits and opportunities to young singers:
- Experience and learn from the conducting of Maestro Christian Grube, Professor Emeritus, Berlin University of the Arts
- Learn masterpieces of the repertoire: Monteverdi, Purcell, Bach, Mendelssohn, and many other Renaissance, Baroque, and Romantic works, as well as modern and contemporary works by Britten, Lauridson, Pärt, and others.
- Perform with experienced singers, renowned soloists, and a professional orchestra in the beautiful acoustics and setting of Holy Cross Church in Santa Cruz
Internship applicants should meet the following standards:
- be a student between the ages of 16 and 25
- have choral and music-reading experience
- pass an audition with Maestro Grube (sight reading and vocalizing)
Interns are expected to comply with general policies and procedures for singers of the Santa Cruz Chorale. However, interns are not expected to pay dues. Interns will be provided with all music for performance free of charge. They will also be given special recognition in the program at the May concert. In addition, interns are offered a scholarship of $100.
The concert season, featuring three concerts, begins in December with “Christmas with the Chorale;” in March the Chorale hosts an out–of-town choir for a guest concert, and also joins them for several works; the final concert of the season, with orchestra and soloists, is in May. Weekly rehearsals begin in September, and are held at Peace United Church of Christ, 900 High St., Santa Cruz, 7 – 9:30 PM Monday evenings. (Don’t hesitate to apply, even if you have missed some of the first rehearsals.)